Florence, Italy is the birthplace of the Renaissance. I’ve visited Florence twice and although I have never gone to the Uffizi (what most everyone else calls the #1 must-see sight) I have admired Michelangelo’s David at La Accademia both times. Art can be visual, audible, edible, and enjoyable. According to Rick Steves “gelato is an edible art form” and I would agree!
My Top 10 Favorite things in Florence, Italy
1) Rest your feet while listening to the Gregorian Chant Vesper service at San Miniato al Monte
2) Drink Rivoire’s hot chocolate con panna
3) View “The Davids” – Michelangelo’s David at the Accademia and Donatello’s David at the Bargello
4) Stand in awe of Masaccio’s frescoes at the Brancacci Chapel
5) Feel the super creamy GROM gelato melt on your tongue!
6) Climb the 463 steps up to Brunelleschi’s Dome and the see up close the “Last Judgment” painting on the inner dome.
7) Gaze at the details of the replicas of Ghiberti’s bronze Baptistry doors. (The originals are in the museum.)
8) Eat Ribollita – or just eat!!!
9) Get off the tourist path and have lunch with local students at a cafeteria with a view of Il Duomo – the Cafeteria at the Biblioteca Oblate Via dell”Oriuolo 26 Old Convent.
10) Watch the sun set over the beautiful red roofs of Florence from Piazzale Michelangelo.